Armond Perretta

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

Dean B wrote:
I also have a few questions about Southern New England:
Do the winds hold up in Sep.?

See the Maine response and associated details.

It sounds pretty commercialized. I'm worried about not finding a
place to anchor. Is there much hope for a primitive experience or
are you at the mercy of the local property owners?

Forget trespassing. You will get into trouble fast. In Southern New
England one simply does not land on private property.

The issue instead is usually the availability of space in the standard
harbors. Years ago the trend switched to moorings, and it's only gotten
worse. At least in September you will be pretty sure to find a mooring, but
most harbors of interest are so clogged with mooring balls that lying to
your own steel is not simple. I try to do it most of the time, but I have
been using these harbors for many years and I can usually make an educated
guess about what's possible and what's trouble. In some harbors you will
definitely draw the ire of the local constable if you get creative.

Now for a fee I will give you the coordinates of some really neat places to
drop a hook not matter what the situation (smile).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat