Jack Dale

Default engine overheating

On 19 Jan 2004 06:19:16 -0800, (jzlatar-genesis)
wrote:

I have a yanmar 2GM20F installed in a Plenamar 300 with the following
problem, No water coming out of the exhaust pipe with the result of
overheating and the pump is working with a new impeller, what could be
the reason for it and the solution.
Thanks in advance
Jzlatar-geminis

If a plugged raw water intake or sea strainer is not present, the
problem might be that the dry impeller is not creating a sufficient
vacuum to draw water. I have used two approaches.

1) try revving the engine to about 3000 rpm that might draw water
through the system.

2) (This one requires greater care.) Disconnect the water intake from
the inlet to the heat exchanger. While the engine is running apply
some vacuum to the hose just was you would when siphoning. When (if)
the water starts flowing, place it back on the inlet and tighten the
hose clamp.

I have used both techniques on a 3GM.

Also check the cam inside the impeller chamber. It might be worn.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor