Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default engine overheating

On 19 Jan 2004 06:19:16 -0800, (jzlatar-genesis)
wrote:

I have a yanmar 2GM20F installed in a Plenamar 300 with the following
problem, No water coming out of the exhaust pipe with the result of
overheating and the pump is working with a new impeller, what could be
the reason for it and the solution.
Thanks in advance
Jzlatar-geminis

The mixing elbow is a known weak point in small Yanmars. This is the
place the raw water enters the exhaust. It's supposed to be good for
about 500 hrs or 6-7 years, whichever comes first.

My experience was with a 3GM30F, but I believe that the 2GM20F is
quite similar. Find the raw water exit from the heat exchanger and
trace it to the exhaust pipe. On most boats, the mixing elbow is
shaped like an upside down "U", but it could be just a pipe slanting
downward away from the engine. Pull the water hose off of this
fitting to see if there is any flow at this point. If there is,
you've found the problem, or at least one problem. Don't try to rod
out the mixing elbow to get the water flowing again. Just replace it.
If you're going to try to replace it yourself, remove the entire
exhaust pipe from where it is bolted to the exhaust manifold at the
back of the heat exchanger. It's easier and safer than trying to work
on it in place. Don't forget that you'll need a new gasket. For the
"U" shaped mixing elbow, I seem to recall that there is an adapter
with a reverse thread that has to be removed. Good luck, and let us
know how it goes.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/