Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:20:01 GMT, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

In article , jeffmo@nospam-at-all-
sv-loki.com says...
If you can handle a somewhat more challenging environment, Maine is the absolute
best summer cruising ground on the East Coast.

I've always wanted to cruise that area. I've even got a chart of
the lower Damariscotta and Kennebunk rivers on the wall. However, I
have heard that one should be wary of the black fly season---whenever
that is. After years of cruising in the nearly insect-free
San Juan and Gulf Islands, I never even think to inquire whether
a charter boat has screens.

I have had a couple of really distressing mosquito attacks in Maine,
but I have never, in 25 years of cruising, experienced black flies on
a boat. But, IIRC, the season may be in June?

We have cruised Maine in mid May, July, and (mostly) September.

Black flies are horrible. I have been eaten by them in the White
Mountains of NH.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."