Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:23:04 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Then there's Maine. Maine for many folks begins east of Muscongus Bay, and
gets better the farther east one goes. The problem with this coast is that
(a) it takes a more experienced hand (and a better prepared vessel) to
really enjoy it, and (b) sometimes you cannot see it. I know many folks
who've spent 2 full weeks in fog on this coast. I know just as many who've
had clear weather for their entire cruise (well, not _that_ many). I am a
Maineiac and have been for some time, but I can understand why some folks
would not agree. I go on my own boat and never have anything that resembles
a schedule.

I would say your short list should include Southern New England and
Penobscot Bay, depending on the specifics I mentioned at the beginning of
this post. Look for a copy of Bill Robinson's "Places to Cruise." It
covers just about all the possible spots on the East Coast (plus some other
well known areas). It's long out of print but often available in local
libraries. He says it a lot better than I have, although I suspect our
conclusions are not very far apart.

I agree with most of what Armond says. Exceptions:

I would say Maine begins at Cape Elizabeth, not Muscongus Bay. There
are some lovely anchorages in Casco Bay if you are willing to sail
north for some distance, and aren't trying to make time along the
coast. Richmond Island, at Cape Elizabeth, offers a pleasant anchorage
even if you are trying to make time along the coast.

Same for the Sheepscot River.

Cruising in September, we have had as many as 13 days straight of
super-clear weather. When Labor Day is early, we have often arrived to
meet thick fog, sometimes lasting 2 or 3 days. Usually clear for the
remaining time.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."