posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default What to build next

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:07:13 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Maybe I should not build any more boats, I dunno. However, building
was fun

And fun is the reason to build your own boat, probably the only valid
reason. If you just want to have a boat there are some excellent
values in used boats right now, and I believe it is
easier/cheaper/faster to refurb an older boat than to build a new one
from scratch. Comments?

That really depends on how much you buy into the sellers hype of how awesome
it would be if it weren't junk.

Seriously, unless the seller is realistic (most people aren't) and desperate
they all value their boats like they were almost new and get offended when
you try to talk about real value with them. Some areas are worse than
others too.

I know one former boat shop owner who bought into that way of thinking as
well when people were selling boats. He pressure them to sell private party
because they would get more money (which is true) and then gave them values
based on excellent condition (as if a shop had just gone through it end to
end) to expect to get for their boat. This of course benefited him in
several ways over taking trades since he had limited competition in his
market.