Jere Lull

Default Best East Coast Summer Cruising Grounds

In article ,
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Dean B wrote:
I ... would like to
charter a boat on the east cost ... next summer.
I am looking for a place with wind; more than anything else ...
I expect to anchor every
night and don't intend to go on any offshore passages. Cute little
ports are nice if you need to pick up groceries or a little
resturaunt food. I also like anchoring at state parks that have
day hikes.

Chesapeake Bay looks promising or Florida may have something to
offer as well but I have little idea about the wind and park
situation.

For beauty (when you can actually see it) the Maine coast is perhaps at the
top of the list, but this depends to some extent on one's preferences. The
Chesapeake Bay _in_season_ is to many folks the best looking place to
dawdle. Certainly there are more nooks and crannies on the Bay than in most
other places, but the Bay may not meet your sailing expectations depending
upon when you visit. snip

The Chesapeake CAN be frustrating some days, particularly if you're
trying to "get" some place, but if you can work light to moderate air,
you can usually get to some nice anchorage as the distances are short.
Within 10 nm of our marina (near Rock Hall, one of the rental centers),
we have 7 overnight anchorages. Another 5 or so miles and the number at
least doubles. We usually stop sailing when VMG goes below 2-3 knots.
YMMV.

To really get to know the Bay's treasures, check out Shellenberger's
"Gunkholer's Guide" to the Chesapeake.

--
Jere Lull