Bruce

Default VHF cable type?

I am looking at the Ancor brand RG-8x which has tined stranded core. Could
I also use this type wire for the 10' run from my SSB tuner to the backstay?
What I had on the SSB was GTO-15???
Thanks
Bruce
"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
news
I recommend checking with suppliers' specifications for cable
construction materials: solid or stranded? solid or foam insulation?
%coverage of shield? Tape wrap? Non-acid outer sheath? before
blindly implementing Larry's recommendation below on choosing
cables. Yes: let's call it a reality check.

Brian W

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:54:58 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

... 55' mainmast has a Shakespeare 1/2 wave VHF antenna on top
with about 75' of RG-58A/U military surplus cable///
If I had to start from scratch, and couldn't buy a 500' roll of
surplus RG-58A/U for $10 at my local thrift shop...

I recommend using VERY flexible, and reliable,
Polyethelene-cored, finely stranded center conductor RG-58A/U (not
RG-58/U which has a solid center conductor) for your purpose. All
those fancy loss charts mean nothing when the fancy foam cables are
pulled through a sharp turn, somewhere. Hell, you can wind RG-58A/U
in a hangman's noose and it'll still work great! REALITY CHECK!!