Evan Gatehouse

Default repower P 4-154

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
message nk.net...

So, the question arises - if I had to repower, in a 60-80HP class, without
the installation costs, what are the typical available engines and their
costs? I didn't discover any way (without getting into a discussion with

salesperson) to find that info on the web, at least about Yanmar...

I've just been pricing smaller Yanmars (the new 3YM30 = 29 HP). They are
locally sold for $9900 CDN. Figure $15,000 US for a Yanmar 75 HP or so.

I wouldn't consider a Volvo, for high parts costs, though first costs are
slightly lower.

Perkins are still around too.

I'd pick Yanmar for general good reputation and best parts availability in
out the way locales. I've been in small marine stores in Mexico with a
Yanmar head gasket on the wall for instance...

And, if you've done such a repower, what was your experience? Does more
power fit in a smaller space (without resorting to turbos, which I'd

prefer
to avoid if I can)? Is it cheaper than, say, 5 or 10 years ago?

Yes, modern diesels are smaller than an old beastie like you've got. The
Yanmar 4JH3E is only about 54 HP. If you want more power, you get the turbo
model., the 4JH3E-TE which gets you to 75 HP. There is only about $1000
more for the turbo model. I'd get it if I were considering them. Probably
no cheaper than 5-10 years ago though.

Much of the discussions I've seen about repower seem to automatically
include a transmission. Is that because it's easy and cheap while you're

in
there already, or because there's incompatibility issues?

There are several different standard SAE bellhousings on the flywheel end of
the engine that transmissions bolt to. A newer engine may have a different
housing that the old transmission won't attach to. Also, if you're
replacing a 2200 RPM with a 3600 RPM engine, the gear ratios will be wrong
for the prop.

Hope this helps,
--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)