Joe Wood

Default repower P 4-154

Think outside the box, Skip. What if you repowered with a Solomon
Technology Electric Wheel. This is about the same size as your current
transmission. Replace the roughly 200 gal water with 50 gal water and
an RO watermaker and reduce the diesel to 50 gal too. Use the recovered
space for the 144 VDC battery stack. Put a decent sized generator where
the engine is. Now you've got almost infinite electric power to do
other things with.

See: http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

Joe Wood

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Well, we're inching toward our purchase, and the 1980 boat it seems likely
we'll buy has an engine of questionable condition. We'll have an engine
survey on it and the generator if we succeed, but the broker asserts that
diesel prices have come *way* down in recent years.

So, the question arises - if I had to repower, in a 60-80HP class, without
the installation costs, what are the typical available engines and their
costs? I didn't discover any way (without getting into a discussion with a
salesperson) to find that info on the web, at least about Yanmar...

And, if you've done such a repower, what was your experience? Does more
power fit in a smaller space (without resorting to turbos, which I'd prefer
to avoid if I can)? Is it cheaper than, say, 5 or 10 years ago?

Much of the discussions I've seen about repower seem to automatically
include a transmission. Is that because it's easy and cheap while you're in
there already, or because there's incompatibility issues?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip