Pete

Default Advice Seattle to Vancouver

Watch the channel makers carefully at both ends of the Swinomish channel...
I've seen quite a few boats ground in the mud by trying to cut a corner,or
misaligned the buoys. Check the tides, as they can run significantly in
the channel, and you'd like to have them to your advantage. It's a pretty
easy trip from Seattle to Belligham if you stay on the inside of Whidby, and
reasonably well protected. From B'ham north can be more exposed with fairly
long fetch when winds blow from the NW.

If it's perfectly calm (unlikely), you would make better time going outside
Whidby Is., but I wouldn't recommend it because it's a long haul and if the
wind pipes up from the west, you've got the the straight of Juan de Fuca
staight out to the pacific to port and you're on a lee shore. Taking the
inside of Whidby offers much better protection, and the Swinomish channel is
fun, anyway.

Watch out for the sandbar (extends 3-4mi out from the shore) just south of
Vancouver off Steveston/mouth of the Frasier river. If it's not crystal
clear, it's pretty much impossible to sight landmarks/markers to judge
whether you're far enough offshore or not due to the distances involved and
the rather flat land surrounding. (i.e. bring a GPS and you'll be fine).
I've eyeball navigated the trip from B'ham south several times without any
trouble (using charts, of course).

-Pete

"Jack Dale" wrote in message
I may be doing a delivery from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC. I would
appreciate any advice. I am familiar with the San Juans, but I have
not been further south. Especially interested in whether the
Swinomish Channel makes any difference in time?

The vessel is a planning powerboat that will cruise at 20 knots.

Thanks

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy