sded

Default Maptech digital charts

I have been using Maptech digital charts for over 10 years, and have added
selected SoftCharts as a useful supplement. I have no issue with SoftChart
charts, have used them extensively in the US and Mexico, and would be happy to
use them again. If you have any facts besides the warm feelings for Maptech
because they have the NOAA contract many of us would be interested-please point
out the which statements are incorrect and provide some correct "facts". How do
flatbed scanners stretch and rotate the images, for example. If you are
uncomfortable leaving Maptech, OK, but I fail to understand the basis for your
statements. Have you personally had bad experiences with specific SoftCharts?
CD protection is another issue, because of the inability to recover from a crash
that it causes. Nobeltec deals with this well over the phone, and offers a
"dongle" if you will be in a remote location. What does Maptech offer?
"spdevel" wrote:

Softcharts is one well-established alternative.

Yep. It is an alternative. So is guessing where you are. I've checked
them all out too and you're wrong or else you work for SoftCharts and are
getting paid to push that nonsense propaganda.

Just think about it. Scanning a paper chart is wrought with paper
stretching and other inaccuracies (think about the slight angle rotation
caused by the scanner pulling the paper in). This doesn't happen when you
are the exclusive partner to NOAA like Maptech is.

I have nothing to gain by having others use their charts - like I said, go
buy them. I just couldn't sit by while I saw incorrect "facts" written on
this group.

By the way, I wish the new CD's weren't protected either. I can understand
that Maptech wants to stop others from stealing their products. To be
honest, it doesn't really effect me since I purchase the products I use
anyway. I guess if you're used to stealing your friends CD's, then this
must really **** ya off...