Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Propeller anti-fouling?

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:07:18 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Wait a minute guys. I don't think we should just blow this guy off. There is logic to what he says. Although his language is not
clear, I think I understand what Noj is saying. When I first read about this technology, I was also very concerned with
electrolysis, but with after thought, he stated that he capacitively couples the charge. This electrostatic discharge is
effectively AC with negligible polar current draw. If you folks remember there was an episode on the "Mythbusters" where they
tried to corrode through a prison steel barred widow using electrolysis. At the end of the episode, there was negligible induced
corrosion with AC applied, yet a great deal of corrosion was induced with a simple battery. I do not believe this system will
induce a problem. It is certainly worth a test. Bruce, you're on.
Steve

I responded to the guy in a different post but I agree with you that
it is worth exploring and may well be a solution. Some time ago I had
a look at least one web site that advertised a system, as he
describes, as I remember the website used a lot of flash descriptions
and slick descriptions of how it worked... not the sort of explanation
that would encourage anyone who know a bit about electronics. In
addition their prices seemed to be very much the sort of prices one
associated with space capsules.

As I remember one bonded what appeared to be transducers at various
spots throughout the boat and then pulsed them at a fairly low
frequency.

Although it wasn't the site I originally visited, you can get some
details from
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5143011/fulltext.html
which is from a patent issued in 1992 so it certainly isn't anything
new.

My comment to the O.P. was that I have never seen or heard of such an
installation on a yacht, nor have I even met an individual who was
interested in looking into the idea. Which maybe just means that
Yachties are dummies.... although I doubt it.

I would really like to talk with someone who had actually tried the
system.

There was also an article entitled "
Go, Navy! U.S. Ships to Try Eco-Safe Anti-Barnacle Tactics
Written by Tina Casey
Published on August 8th, 2009

Which does not mention the electronic method which makes one wonder
about the validity of the claims for the "sound system".

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)