Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Propeller anti-fouling?

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:21:31 -0500, " Tuuk" wrote:

You better announce to the dock master you are putting this type of
electrolisis on your boat.

This could initiate electrolisis and anodic reaction to most other boats
around you and dock and dock hardware and cause them to be the "sacrifical"
part in this corrisive situation.

If you add electrolisis, then all the anodes surrounding your boat will
attract those superfluous emissions and prematurely erode all the anodes.

Also, be careful with painting props for obvious reasons. Half way through
next motoring season when a shaft bearing fails due to introduced
unballanced wear on them, you can be assured that its cause is directly
related to your painting a balanced part therefore making it unbalanced and
causing vibrations and failing bearings or seals. Keep the prop ballanced.

I couldn't agree with you more, however... I'll be willing to bet that
if you pulled the props from every boat in this marina and stuck them
on a balancing machine you'd be lucky to find more then two or two
that were balanced, as they came out of the water, i.e., in the
condition that they are normally used. Stuff grows on propellers all
the time and few if any get every tiny bit off when they dive down and
scrape the propeller.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)