Default repower P 4-154

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:23:53 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

So, the question arises - if I had to repower, in a 60-80HP class, without
the installation costs, what are the typical available engines and their
costs? I didn't discover any way (without getting into a discussion with a
salesperson) to find that info on the web, at least about Yanmar...

A friend of mine who powers a 40' heavy displacement steel ketch with
a 35 HP 1980-vintage Volvo (his AutoProp compensates quite well for
the somewhat low power) was pleasantly suprised to find yesterday at
the Toronto Boat Show a new 55 HP Volvo (model D2-55? maybe...I have
an Atomic 4 and wasn't paying close attention) for $15K Canadian,
which is about $12K U.S. (0.78 U.S.=$1 Cdn.). This struck even me as
reasonable, as I had thought to get an A4 replacement in diesel (25
HP-30 HP) from Yanmar or Beta Marine (Kubota marinized) would cost
$12K Cdn. new.

The amazing thing, according to my friend, was that the 55 HP Volvo
looked very close in size to his old 35 HP, so he could visualize
repowering if necessary without major mods. I replied that I liked
Volvos very much until something wore out and then one had to pay for
Swedish unionism.

That being said, buy an old Perkins G

R.