Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Propeller anti-fouling?

Wait a minute guys. I don't think we should just blow this guy off. There is logic to what he says. Although his language is not
clear, I think I understand what Noj is saying. When I first read about this technology, I was also very concerned with
electrolysis, but with after thought, he stated that he capacitively couples the charge. This electrostatic discharge is
effectively AC with negligible polar current draw. If you folks remember there was an episode on the "Mythbusters" where they
tried to corrode through a prison steel barred widow using electrolysis. At the end of the episode, there was negligible induced
corrosion with AC applied, yet a great deal of corrosion was induced with a simple battery. I do not believe this system will
induce a problem. It is certainly worth a test. Bruce, you're on.
Steve

" Tuuk" wrote in message ...
You better announce to the dock master you are putting this type of electrolisis on your boat.

This could initiate electrolisis and anodic reaction to most other boats around you and dock and dock hardware and cause them to
be the "sacrifical" part in this corrisive situation.

If you add electrolisis, then all the anodes surrounding your boat will attract those superfluous emissions and prematurely
erode all the anodes.

Also, be careful with painting props for obvious reasons. Half way through next motoring season when a shaft bearing fails due
to introduced unballanced wear on them, you can be assured that its cause is directly related to your painting a balanced part
therefore making it unbalanced and causing vibrations and failing bearings or seals. Keep the prop ballanced.

"Noj Zang" wrote in message ...

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message ...

It is not electrolysis I'm fighting, it is shellfish.

Let's try again. The link says:

The application of pulsed electric fields to water containing micro- or macro-organisms has been proven to be a means of
controlling the population of these organism, or to stun them over a certain electric field dependent time interval. The fact
that the efficiency of this control mechanism increases with decreasing pulse duration opens the possibility to utilize
microsecond pulse power technology for biofouling prevention in cooling water systems. The advantages over other techniques
used for biofouling prevention such as its independence from chemicals, the fact that it is possible to stun, rather than kill
unwanted biofouling species, that it does not generate shock waves which could affect the structure of the cooling system, and
that it can be installed like a filter in front of an existing cooling system, without requiring any changes in the cooling
system, make the pulsed electric field technology (PEFT) a strong contender to existing biofouling prevention methods. A recent
field study, where tidal water from the Elizabeth River in Norfolk, VA, was treated by means of the pulsed electric field
method, demonstrated complete prevention of biofouling in pipes when the river water at the intake of the pipes was exposed to
electric field of 6.5 kV/cm with 770 nanosecond pulse duration. The efficiency was 1,400 gallons of treated water per kWh, an
increase in efficiency by more than a factor of three compared to results presented at the 1996 Zebra Mussel Conference.
Experiments with even lower electric fields and correspondingly lower energy consumption are under way. modeling results
indicate that efficiencies of more than 50,00 gallons/ kWh may be reached in fresh water cooling systems.

The livestock fence shocker delivers said pulsed electric field of required intensity. If the electric pulse is monophasic it
delivers net charge into the water, creating electrolysis. If the electric pulse is biphasic (ie: capacitively coupled) it will
deliver no net charge into the water, avoiding electrolysis.

I, know, I know. It's not livestock that are giving your propellor problems and the article only mentions zebra mussels in
1996.

But then you are the guy who wrapped electrical connections in tape for frequently flooded aircraft runways and buried them in
the ground, despite the law saying those connections should be above ground in a hermetic box. How many died because of that?

With barnacle growth the size of a medium shopping trolley fouling your drive train at least you have the electrolysis problem
solved as there are no exposed metals to electrolyze.

I have studied this in depth at university in Bangalore.

Noj