nom=de=plume nom=de=plume is offline

Default BREAKING: Brown Wins in Mass. Race

"Bruce" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:42:08 -0500, wrote:

capital gains tax was 38% when reagan took office. when bush left
they
were 15%

when's the last time the MIDDLE CLASS got a 50% tax cut?

BTW the capital gains reduction from 39% to 28% was in 1979 (Carter)

It dropped to 20% in 1997 (Clinton) and Bush took it to 15%

The GOP contribution to your 50% tax cut was 10% of it.

uh...no. the GOP controlled the congress under clinton. so they
forced the 30% reduction from 39 to 28. right before they impeached
clinton.

So we can blame the last 2 years of Bush on the Democrats?

There was a one year period of 20% during the Reagan administration
but it was back to 38% when he left.
That is not exactly what you posted or what you implied.

it seems you got it just a bit wrong...

Not so much Who said Reagan dropped the 38% ? (it was in the Carter
administration)

If they repeal this and allow the cap gains tax to rise, expect a big
"correction" in the market as people cash in their profits before the
tax kicks in. Too bad if your money is in a 401k and you can't get out
but I guess we have already seen that happen recently.

of course this is bull****. there' so much money to be stolen by the
rich they won't do anything.

I agree the rich are getting richer but if you make less than $65,000
you get the best deal on capital gains. (5%)

And, you have less money to begin with, thus your "best deal" isn't so
great. Let's say you claim $10K in capital gains and pay 5%. Your net is
$9500. Cool. Now, let's say you claim $100K in capital gains and pay 20%
(just for fun). Your net is $80K. So, looking at it in actual dollars,
which
is the "better deal" or rather, which one would you rather have?

It's a measure of success.

Yes, it's a measure of financial success. Your point? "Getting the best
deal" doesn't mean actually making a lot of money.

--
Nom=de=Plume