Joe Joe is offline

Default GIANT MONSTER waves

On Jan 10, 11:49*am, cavelamb wrote:
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
I'd sail with you anytime (if you'd have me).

Death wish?

Wilbur Hubbard

No.

A chance to sail with an experienced captain - and enjoy some
good coffee at the same time. *

Anytime Richard. If you are ever around Houston come on by.

As far as ditching from RedCloud it was a people call. Including the
request and consideration of USCG responders who were very concerned
about a night time operation and forecast.

I've had far worse days at sea, than the day we ditched RedCloud. I'm
not proud of ditching her, and you are right, it was one of the
hardest calls I ever had to make. I knew the second I made that call
she was going down, I'd never see her again. But you measure the cost
and make the decision. The old adage the Captn always goes down with
the ship only applies when the ship and it's cargo or mission is of
more value than the life lost. RedCloud was a nice boat, home..... but
not worth the risk of life and limb.

I'm proud no one was hurt, RedCloud had all the proper equipment and
was ready for a worst case event. We all had the training and skills
needed. We did deliver a huge cargo of shoes, boots , musical
instruments, schools supplies all donated by local friends and
citizens for the children of San Pedro. And life goes on. I'm over
it and learned much. Things you dont get over are friends hurt or
killed. I often think about a 19 yo deckhand that had his hand sucked
into a turbo charger. He made it back to the wheelhouse in time to
show me what happened, in a joking way before going into shock. That
was a bad day at sea. I can think of many more bad days than I care
to share. Anyone who spends a lifetime working boats has bad day
stories. But as you know, or will find out, the sea has a way of
making it all worth the risk.

The support for our advanced Eco-Sailing Coffee venture is growing
fast, soon we will reach the all important tipping point and be at
full hull speed. Even in these down times our coffee is exploding in
sales here because it is the best, freshest coffee around, and cheaper
than most including Starbucks in our local grocery stores.

At a retail price..our most expensive certified Antiqua "RedClouds
Finest" sells for 11.99 an honest good ol pound. The run of the mill
Starbucks sells for 8.99 for 12 oz. Our most popular "Boat Roast"
sells retail for 7.99. a pound and it's a delicious Costa Rican Tres
Rio's bean that we roast fresh and pack warm and rush to the store.
It's smooth as velvet and spicey good.

A ship in port (like yours) is safe.
But that's not what ships are for...

--

If it has a busted boom held together with bailing wire and sewer
plumbing pipe and only a bucket head.. it is suited better to stay

Joe

Richard Lambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. *For the clock may soon be still."