RLM RLM is offline

Default perfect car for the 'old timers' in here.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:28:53 -0500, Harry wrote:

RLM wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 19:47:54 -0500, wrote:

Don White wrote:
http://www.57classicchevy.com/789-chevy.html

High School and cars.
I had a 56 Ford 292 white and gray.

Mom had a 56 Crown Vic orange and white 292Y block 4bbl.Drove it and
eventually have to put the overhead oilers on it. Got rid of it shortly
after that. Bought a new 60 chevy convertible w/283 2bbl and
slipomatic. Low gear was like granny. I forget the real name for the
trans but it was no economy king.

I loved it.

I had a 57 Chevy Harbor Blue convertible, 283 4bbl P-glide. Two-tone
blue interior. This was the factory color interior. Heavy with the X
frame to reinforce it because it was a convertible.

The car that was fun was a White 59 chevy w/348ci w/58tri-power
progressive linkage + four speed. That truck motor would go with enough
fuel and air flow. Fuel was cheap then even though it didn't seem so at
the time.

Friend had a blue 57 Chevy convertible, 283 four barrel,
powerglide. It had black tuck and roll. I don't think they came that
way from the factory.
I was always a little envious of his car. I'd love to have either one
today.

None of the "family cars" I recall was memorable. We did have some
strange ones, though.

The first car I remember was a '49 Packard sedan. My mom drove it for a
couple of years and then told my father she wanted something smaller. So
he got her a Henry J. Then a couple of years later, he sold that car
because his floor plan banker took back a six-month-old 1954 Caddy that
he offered my dad at a "steal." I liked that car! Kept it until 1962,
when my mom got a new Dodge.

My dad always had his Willys work vehicles that he drove to his stores.
Typically they were Jeeps he had rebuilt or was in the process of
rebuilding.

I learned to drive in a 50 Packard. Started it in the morning when cold.
Progressed from there after having a key copied. No license, too young.
First car I bought was a 53 Studebaker flat-head six w/overdrive. Payed
$22.50 for it, the cost the lady had in tax and title on her new to her
car. I wasn't old enough to drive so the lady delivered it to the house,
parked it in the drive. My mom looked out the kitchen window and didn't
know I had bought it. There was hell in the house that day.