Steven Shelikoff

Default Need Advice: Cruising Catamaran, Trimaran, Cruiser or Motorsailer

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:28:09 GMT, Brian
wrote:

I am looking for a new liveaboard home on the water in San Francisco
Bay, to keep in Oakland or Alemeda or perhaps in the Delta. I have

[...]
catamans and think that might be a good solution to my needs. Also I
have heard about trimarans and have no idea of how they compare with a
cat. I am interested in any feedback about Cruising Catamarans in the
33 to 38 foot range. It looks like I can get a used one in good shape
for $120-150K. I would like to know how well they sail and point, how
they handle down wind and how well they would do in the blue water
between SF Bay and Mexico and how they do in heavy waves and wind as
well as the normal high winds in san Fran Bay.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I don't know the specifics about your area but my first bit of advice is
if you're looking for a livaboard, I'd check into the availability and
cost of liveaboard slips for a cruising catamaran or trimaran in your
area. You may find it's very limited and costly.

Steve