bowgus

Default Repower I/O

Something I read awhile back ... dunno if it's true ... due to the way a
diesel fires as compared to a gas engine, it would hammer your OMC (designed
for a gas) apart ... ???

"wgsant" wrote in message
m...
I have a 26' Renken Classic cruiser that came from the factory in 1991
with a 5.8 liter Ford V-8 and OMC Cobra outdrive. The Y pipe
developed a big hole and I was obliged to remove the engine to replace
it. Now that the engine is out, I am seriously considering
replacement with a small diesel like the Yanmar 2GM20C. I do not need
a boat that planes as I have a smaller boat that does everything I
want for skiing and fishing etc. Also, the fuel consumption of the
Ford V-8 is very intimidating. I would be happier with a little
Trawler-like boat for gunkholing and weekend cruising. First question
is whether a 20-25 hp diesel would mate up well with my Cobra drive?
Can I use the existing Cobra cooling pickups and the Cobra gear
shifting mechanism? Can I feed the diesel exhaust back out the Y pipe
of the Cobra/Ford system? Is there maybe a better way to go to make
my cruiser into a less macho and more homey platform? All ideas and
opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Wayne