Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default AIS iPhone App for ProMariners: gTrax

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
In article
,
" wrote:

I can't help but wonder if it would be too distracting for those on
small boats. The waterways are congested enough now. An additional
distraction could create more problems than benefits. I can see that
recreational powerboater looking at his cell phone and paying no
attention to where he is going only to plow into that helpless
sailboater.

Am I alone with this vision?

Having used AIS on congested waterways (standalone product with its own
screen), I have to say that it is most useful in these circumstances.
Of course such a standalone system will also immediately compute nearest
point of approach, and to to closest approach on its own, around corners
and in thick fog as well.
Since it offers a bird eyes view, it helps very much.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

I definitely agree. While distractions are always available, you need to
learn how to filter out what's what.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com