Keith Hughes

Default Fuel Polishing again.

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

...filter media, by definition we are ignoring the case. My question is
why does it matter strictly to the performance of the filter media
whether fuel is being pushed through by a pump or pushed through by
atmospheric pressure?

It's often a function of system and pump design. For e.g., when
using a centrifugal pump (or liquid ring, and sometimes vane), the
inlet is typically sized larger than the outlet. The result is
higher fluid velocity on the outlet side versus the 'suction'
side. Higher velocity, higher impact pressure, often resulting in
better particulate retention.

Additionally, all pump curves I've seen are, to some degree, more
dependent on suction head than discharge head, and cavitation
becomes an issue (i.e. efficiency drops more rapidly for loss of
head on the suction side than for increase in head on the
discharge side). Thus, when the filter begins to clog, you not
only lose flowrate due to loop pressure drop increasing, you lose
pump *efficiency* as well, exacerbating the problem. The result
is, typically, less allowable filter loading before the system
performance is affected, so more frequent filter changes.

Whether this is an issue with the Racors or not, I have no idea,
not being familiar with them. But if you want maximum system
efficiency, maximum filter loading capacity, and longest interval
between changeouts, discharge filtration is the way to go.

Or...just use more *wind*, and all this diesel stuff is moot :-)

Keith Hughes