Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Cooling pump keeps developing a leak

Len,
Not enough information..... Johnson pumps are bulletproof IF you run them within their design parameters AND it is installed
correctly. You did not mention how it is driven, but if it runs faster than 2000 RPM, you are running this beyond its designed
capability. Bruce offered a good alternative, if the installation is the culprit. There can be a multitude of faults that can
cause early failure. Please be more specific.
Steve

"Len" wrote in message ...
I am having problems with this cooling pump.
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/...10-24218-1.pdf
This pump has been overhauled twice and apart from that it has been
serviced with new seals but it keeps developing a leak. Last time (2
months after overhaul) the seawater crept through 2 seals into the
engine block. I had to take out 2 gallons of salt water. Now it starts
again to drip. since that last servicing I have only been in clear
seawater.

I'm thinking of :
1) some mechanical ceramic seal that will do the job properly and for
years but I have no clue how to go about that one.
2) removing the waterhoses from this pump and add an electrical pump
with enough capacity and proper alarms and so on.

I would be obliged if you could spill your experience / thoughts
regarding this.

Regards,
Len on board s.v Present,
at the moment in Grenada, W.I.