hank hank is offline

Default Cooling pump keeps developing a leak

Moving the new seals slightly off their current positions on the shaft
may fix the problem. Set the new seals with permatax 1 and use plastic
washers. Space between seals needs to be vented. Or replace the shaft.
E-mail or call Depco pump in Tampa -- they're very helpful. HS Ft.
Lauderdale

On 1/5/2010 1:37 AM, Len wrote:
I am having problems with this cooling pump.
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/...10-24218-1.pdf
This pump has been overhauled twice and apart from that it has been
serviced with new seals but it keeps developing a leak. Last time (2
months after overhaul) the seawater crept through 2 seals into the
engine block. I had to take out 2 gallons of salt water. Now it starts
again to drip. since that last servicing I have only been in clear
seawater.

I'm thinking of :
1) some mechanical ceramic seal that will do the job properly and for
years but I have no clue how to go about that one.
2) removing the waterhoses from this pump and add an electrical pump
with enough capacity and proper alarms and so on.

I would be obliged if you could spill your experience / thoughts
regarding this.

Regards,
Len on board s.v Present,
at the moment in Grenada, W.I.