Rosalie B.

Default Another question undocking question - concerning swim platforms

x-no-archive:yes

"George C." wrote:

Here's the scenario: I'm docked alongside a pier with boats close to my bow
and stern, and the wind is pushing me into the pier. Normally, I would turn
the bow into the pier and back out, but sometimes backing isn't an option. I
would like to push the bow out, but the 2' swim platform on my stern will
get crushed. What to do?

If the wind is pushing us into the face dock (assume that's what you
are talking about) very strongly, we stay there. We just can't back
against significant wind. We don't have a swim platform, but we do
have an inflatable on davits.

We always feed the lines so that both ends are in the boat (i.e.
looped around a cleat or looped around a piling). If the wind is
lighter and there isn't any current, we will leave the bow line
attached, cast off the stern line and push the stern out as far as
possible with a pole. Then when the stern is well clear of the boat
behind, I cast off the bow and Bob backs out. It might be possible
for Bob to use the bow line as a spring and power into the pier (I
know we have 4" of solid fiberglass in the bow so I'm not worried
about damage to the boat) to swing the stern out. But if the wind or
current is too great for us to do that, we don't go.

"Wwso149874" wrote in message
Many times we forget about the use of lines and engine to bring a vessel

into
or out of a berth. The use of a spring to swing the bow or stern out into

the
channel, or around an obstacle is a common practice with large vessels and
works equally well with small ones. A mid ship's spring will often make

you
look like an expert bringing your boat into a difficult berth or slip.

Warping
yourself into a tight slip is an art form. Too often boaters think they

have
to do every thing with the engine alone. That's the hard way.

grandma Rosalie