Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Cooling pump keeps developing a leak

To overhaul a water pump *IS* to replace the o ring and lip seals,
and ensure the shaft is smooth.

Actions you should consider.
!) Go to a different mechanic.
2) Replace the shaft, seals and o ring and try again
OR
3) Replace the entire pump with the same model.

This time, make sure there is no side force on the drive shaft, and keep
out of shallow sand and grit.

If after doing this you still get less than 12 months service, think
again about another brand of pump.

Brian W
(Worth all of the dough you paid for this advice!)

Len wrote:
I am having problems with this cooling pump.
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/...10-24218-1.pdf
This pump has been overhauled twice and apart from that it has been
serviced with new seals but it keeps developing a leak. Last time (2
months after overhaul) the seawater crept through 2 seals into the
engine block. I had to take out 2 gallons of salt water. Now it starts
again to drip. since that last servicing I have only been in clear
seawater.

I'm thinking of :
1) some mechanical ceramic seal that will do the job properly and for
years but I have no clue how to go about that one.
2) removing the waterhoses from this pump and add an electrical pump
with enough capacity and proper alarms and so on.

I would be obliged if you could spill your experience / thoughts
regarding this.

Regards,
Len on board s.v Present,
at the moment in Grenada, W.I.