Jere Lull

Default Another question undocking question - concerning swim platforms

In article ,
Loren Block wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:42:34 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In article m4yLb.57930$PK3.42234@okepread01,
"George C." wrote:

Here's the scenario: I'm docked alongside a pier with boats close to my
bow
and stern, and the wind is pushing me into the pier. Normally, I would
turn
the bow into the pier and back out, but sometimes backing isn't an option.
would like to push the bow out, but the 2' swim platform on my stern will
get crushed. What to do?

Haven't tried this, but perhaps: "spring" a dock line from as far back
on the dock as possible to the outboard transom cleat. Power forward,
possibly turning the rudder toward the dock to kick the stern out as
well. That should torque the bow around. Once you've turned enough, toss
the dock line back to the dockhand.

We've done something like this but not quite. We powered forward, turning
the wheel as to turn into the dock with a dock line on the bow cleat. This
caused the stern to move away from the dock. Of course if the dock had not
been well padded, we would have needed a large fender to protect the bow
from the dock.

We've done that many times. Our hull and rub rail are beefy enough that
I don't worry much about damage, but some of my powerboat friends aren't
as blessed.

The significant adverse wind got me thinking. If we were port to the
dock, I'd have to be VERY aggressive in the backing and would have very
little margin of error with our significant walk to port. While Xan's
bow is beefy, I'm not sure I'd want to solidly plant it on the dock
before backing, and am not sure I could put us at the required 30 or so
degree cant with a simple spring line to the bow.

Tying a dockline to the outboard transom cleat, if it works, would put
us bow to the wind, in forward gear. We don't have a swim platform, but
our rudder, ladder and kicker are hung back there. Since I built the
rudder, I know I can rebuild it, but I'd hate to have to during the
season. May-October (our sailing season), I do only absolutely necessary
maintenance and get real irritable in the process.

--
Jere Lull