posted to rec.boats.building
Richard van den Berg Richard van den Berg is offline

Default Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:56:54 -0600 brian whatcott
) wrote:
Richard van den Berg wrote:

Taffrail sounds also very much like "tafereel" and guess what Google
gave with "taffrail tafereel": http://www.dictionary.net/taffrail

Ha! Bruce has many fine qualities, among which, the ready acceptance of
a better answer than the one on which he has settled, does not show up.
He will continue to argue the merits to unusual lengths. Watch!

Already at the start i found taffrail very much sounding like tafereel,
but my translation would be "scenery", not very shiplike.
The ongoing discussion made me put the two words in Google with a "what
the heck" with a kind of surprising answer and some history.
I'll wait if better explanations emerge ;-)

--
Richard
e-mail: vervang/replace invalid door/with NL.net