Default 4th FL trip report, shorter, this time!

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:51:05 -0500, DSK wrote:

I've seen a couple of boats with this sort of layout, and it is nice... but the words "work shop" and "light stuff" don't
go together. Tools and spares are among the heaviest items to stow.

True, but as heavy as chain and anchors? They frequently end up even
farther forward. Best case is to route the chain back a bit, but this
is relatively rare. My idea is that one side of a V-berth (with the
cabinetry stripped out, would make a good work SPACE, with fasteners
and small tools, etc. neatly stowed low in dedicated lockers, and
maybe with a small drill press and vise bolted to a bench. Big tools,
like hammers, axes, handy-billies, large wrenches, bolt cutters, and
the like, are best stowed in the engine room or in the bilges (boxed
or wrapped to keep dry of course). The bilges are also a good place to
stow ungainly stuff like the old stays you keep as spares to the new
ones you install before going offshore...at least they'll fit, right?

Some people dedicate a quarterberth to this sort of thing. I guess
it's an argument for fuller bilges than a lot of current production
boats, but if you can have two adults and maybe a holding tank in the
V-berth not bringing the boat down by the bow while underway, surely
you can stow 300-400 lbs low in the same space without affecting
performance...that's a lot of tools and spares if they outweight the
engine!

IMHO plugs are not much good in most realistic scenarios of thru-hull failure. A plastic bag & some duct tape would be
better and faster to seal it off.

Not to mention a collision mat/fothering sail, I suppose. I would
agree with you had I not saved my own boat thanks to a skinny plug I
had already in place when a ball valve failed at launch. Only took on
a few gallons, and was able to sail safety to a nearby travel lift to
haul and replace. But I agree that you can't be too safe. Of course,
the solution few people use these days are strum boxes and standpipes
that go above the waterline.

I had only one experience in trying to hammer wood plugs into a hole, which thank goodness was a Navy training exercise.
I used to have wood plugs tied to all thru hulls but now I have two 'patching kits,' one stowed in the engine room and
one in the deck box.

It's "strongly motivational", I would say. I changed an engine water
intake from gate to ball valve while afloat and that, while
controlled, was alarming enough.

... Once you are aboard, you will quickly learn what works FOR YOU
TWO as cruising liveaboards, and you can "slate for demolition" areas
you want to custom refit as you can afford to.

Agreed. And the boat sounds pretty good as Skip is describing it.

Yep!

R.