posted to rec.boats.building
jim.isbell jim.isbell is offline

Default Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

On Jan 1, 6:34*pm, Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:27:38 -0800 (PST), "jim.isbell"

wrote:
On Dec 31 2009, 11:02*am, Every time wrote:
Gingerbread! I knew it was something along those lines!

Thanks!

No, that is not it.

Its called the Taffrail.

Look in wikipedia for a picture of a "taffrail."

The term comes from the Dutch word for an ornately decorated stern of
a ship

That is the "newer" definition. It comes from the original Dutch
which SPECIFICALLY refers to an ornately decorated stern rail.
Wikipedia shows a picture of the stern of such a ship in their
definition. Later it came to refer to ONLY the upper rail. But the
original poster wanted to know the term to refer to the ornately
decorated stern. Taffrail IS that term. Gingerbread is a landlubber
term for the decorations under the eves of the house often seen at the
peak of the roof. It does not refer to a boat.

I did as you directed and read, "A Taffrail is the aftermost railing
around the stern of a ship, often, but not always, ornately carved. A
taffrail log is an object dragged from the stern ..."

Note the "often, but not always, ornately carved".

Tryhttp://images.google.co.th/images?q=taffrail&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:...
more information on taffrail.

Cheers,

Bruce