posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne B Wayne B is offline

Default Replacing old alcohol stoves

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:55:33 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

I just looked into Hexamine stoves and like that solution better
because the fuel is much safer than alcohol. It burns with a bright
yellow flame and is supposedly has more heat content than methanol.
One can buy 24 tablets for $5 and each tablet burns for 9 minutes.
One can use multiple tablets for more heat. I'd like to design a
system for raising and lowering the burning tablets to enable one to
either rapid heat or "simmer" a pot.
These tablets seem expensive until you consider how infrequently you
will use them and the danger from the alcohol aboard your boat.

There are several other small boat solutions that I like better. My
all time favorite is the one burner, fully gimbled Sea Swing that uses
a small propane cannister. Extra cannisters can be sealed in plastic
bags and carried somewhere above deck. You might be able to pick one
up on EBAY, and some have been converted to use a Primus stove.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...php?tid/10141/

I have one sitting in my garage that we used many years for distance
racing. It is great for heating up one pot meals while under sail.

Another option is the one burner butane cannister stoves that West
Marine sells. We carry one as an emergency spare on the trawler.
They aren't gimbled but cook with a hot flame and are very
small/convenient.