felton

Default Sea Cocks

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:48:55 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
message ink.net...
I'm a bit confused, apparently, by semantics or my limited exposure...

I hadn't heard of plug valves, so I went looking. What I saw looked about
like every ball valve on the insides - except none had easily

position-noted
lever handles on the outsides.

A tapered plug valve led to visions of the kind of valves I used in
titration in school - a tapered seat with a matching taper on the

Your visions were correct. A plug valve has a tappered plug, just as you
discribe here..

If you are looking as something that resembles a ball valve then your not
looking at a true plug valve.

I have been boating for 45 yrs and all of my boats until 10 years ago had
tapered plug seacocks. (my last boat being a '76 Cheoy Lee Clipper 33) This
boat had 'knock off' tapered plug valves. That was the standard and the
proper valve or sea cock in boats built up into the '70s.

I just wish I had a good online reference to what a proper tapered plug
valve looks like..

You may see what you are looking for at

http://spartanmarine.com/ and click on "seacocks". That is what I
have on my boat, but I'll be honest. These things, while heavy and
stout, do tend to want to stick if not opened and closed regularly. I
am not sure I wouldn't prefer ball valves or the Forespar marelon, but
I am still pondering. My current disgruntlement probably brought on
by the fact that two of mine are now stuck in the open position, which
doesn't make me happy at all as my boat is in the water over the
winter. Something I have to take care of ASAP.

I'll do some Googling on my own.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions