Harry[_2_] Harry[_2_] is offline

Default Court limits use by cops of tasers.

Harry wrote:
Taser ruling sets standards for police, claims

"It's a significant use of force, not like cuffing someone or using pain
compliance or pepper spray," said Eugene Iredale, a lawyer for a San
Diego-area man who was Tasered by a police officer who had stopped him
for not wearing a seat belt.

Pain compliance? Arm twisting, kneecapping, breaking bones, a poke in
the nose,
a knee to the groin, beating senseless with a baton.

McPherson stopped Bryan's car on a summer morning in 2005 as the
21-year-old was driving home. Wearing only boxer shorts and tennis
shoes, and upset at himself for forgetting to fasten his seat belt,
Bryan swore at himself as he stepped out of the car, and was shouting
gibberish and banging his thighs as he stood 15 to 25 feet away from the
officer, the court said.

The citizen was wearing only skivvies and tennis shoes. How odd.
I don't know about you folks, but a man in his skivvies shouting
gibberish and slapping his thighs just 15 feet from where I was
standing, would put me on high alert.

McPherson said Bryan then took one step toward him. Bryan denied it, and
the court said the evidence indicated that Bryan was facing away from
McPherson when the officer fired his Taser. Bryan fell on his face,
breaking four front teeth, and needed a hospital visit to remove the
electronic dart, the court said. He was charged with misdemeanors of
resisting and opposing an officer, but prosecutors dropped the charges
after the jury deadlocked.

Video evidence would have been nice.

Bryan was clearly unarmed and did not challenge McPherson verbally or
make any menacing gestures, Wardlaw said. She said McPherson's claim
that Bryan had ignored an order to stay in the car - an order that Bryan
denied hearing - would not justify a Taser shooting, nor would the
officer's concern that Bryan might be mentally disturbed.

SAY WHAT?

Kudos to the court.

Naturally. Whoever you are, you are as mentally disturbed as skivvies boy.

--

I get so upset by these spoofers, that I think I am going to make more
crossposts between rec.boats and numerous unrelated newsgroups, because