Skip Gundlach

Default Sea Cocks

I'm a bit confused, apparently, by semantics or my limited exposure...

I hadn't heard of plug valves, so I went looking. What I saw looked about
like every ball valve on the insides - except none had easily position-noted
lever handles on the outsides.

A tapered plug valve led to visions of the kind of valves I used in
titration in school - a tapered seat with a matching taper on the
handle/valve, and, perhaps, a spring to hold it firmly down? - but that was
not the deal. I presume from reading the various chatter on the topic that
perhaps it (taper) refers to the threads at the bottom of the
valve/thru-hull?

In any event, I'm not the least bit sure how they're better than ball
valves, as that's what they look like. Those of you familiar with the
benefits of the type over a ball, what is their superiority?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

--
"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are