Default 4th FL trip report, shorter, this time!

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:30:13 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Greetings and felicitations :{))

wrote in message
.. .
I think the galley looks quite impressive. I would move those sinks to
the centerline if they aren't there already, but you can't tell easily

The sinks are not on the centerline - the edge of the counter is about at
centerline (note mast position), and to do that would interfere with the
companionway and even the access into the galley.

That's what it looked like, but the lens distortion was such that I
couldn't be sure. Still a nice galley, regardless...all you need is
two feet of secured webbing and you'll stay in it on all points of
sail G

If I were redoing it, I
could move it to the edge, however, which would be pretty close. However,
there are strap hooks, and it's not far off center, so I don't know that I'd
go to that expense. Can you suggest why it would be a good idea to spend
that rehab money to move it closer?

Beside the obvious reason for sinks to lie on the centerline (less
slosh, no favoured tacks for galley work, etc.), I find that I
frequently keep the sink empty to chuck empties and other light stuff
down the companionway to get it out of the cockpit (charts, hats,
rubber chickens and so on). You can get quite accurate with underhand
tosses. Probably not worth the effort, though.

from the photo. Do the tender and davits come with the boat?

Oh, dear... It appears I wasn't clear. The boat you're speaking of is the
'cruising boat' - and the tender and motor are gone, as referred to in the
original. However, the very stout davits do come with *that* boat. The one
we've offered on has no davits, but does have a roll-up and a new motor.

OK, I didn't read your post closely enough, I guess.

The one we've offered on, with the attorney/owner, is
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...16&slim=quick&,
and video frame shots of it can be found in
http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery under High Time, along with some of the
considered modifications at M46Mod, taken from Lydia's second choice, also
very rehabbed, but even more expensive.

Wow. Considerably better, I can see, and STILL a pretty good deal.
Those deck boxes and the hardtop bimini are very nice. You've got to
love the nav station/workshop.

Looks generally good and the price is good, too, probably because she
is well into middle age and cosmetically a little worn and old
fashioned in layout and trim.

Indeed. Yet, that's also the one which *I* think could have the mods above
done pretty reasonably. I'm getting a firm quote this evening.

I suspect many here following "Skip's Saga" will be interested in the
number. The 45K difference in price is "not trivial" as they say, and
nice as "High Time" is, I would personally opt for $45K of custom work
to do the cheaper, if equivalent boat just as I wanted it. Personally,
I would do the V-berth as the workshop/storage area (light stuff,
naturally) with maybe a pipe or Pulman berth on one side, with a big
long locker beneath.

I'd keep the nav station for small jobs, but mostly just nav. The
salon I would alter to seaberths with lee cloths. Mostly, you'll be
two people only, not six, and if you have a second couple, they can be
in the cabin.

Or, as many would say, well-seasoned and seamanlike. I know you don't
require reminding, but I think your trouble spots would include deck
rot/wet spots (are Morgans solid laminate under deck gear? Are there
backing plates?) and areas like the partners, engine mounts, shaft

These boats were solid hulls, and plywood cored decks with solid areas of
attaching/through points. Backing material on all stuff. The offer boat
has also had the screws for the toe rail replaced with through-bolts, along
with other similar upgrades on other attachment points.

Good, good. Screws have no place on decks, IMO. Through-bolts every
six inches or better.

log, thru-hulls, rudder posts, steering linkages, roller-reefing and
so on, if not regularly upgraded and maintained. The habits of the
P.O. are usually visible (updated flares, wood plugs beside
thru-hulls, good selection of spares, maintenance logs, post-market

I've not seen but one boat with the plugs next to the through-hulls, but
that's what I'll do on any boat I own.

Glad to hear it. So far, my 250 boat club is averaging one sinking at
dock a year from cocks left open, rotten hose, single clamps and the
absence of a way to plug the holes in the first place.

upgrades in lighting, beefed-up wiring and so on--if half of that is
present, it's a very good sign). Mast work is probably needed, but a

Most of that is present in the offer boat, and the rigging is pretty recent,
upgraded.

Very good.

redo of all the standing rigging would be automatic for me before
extensive cruising, if only to provide a baseline for my time of
salt-water ownership. Probably a few new blocks and lines, too,
although I would use a ratty 10-year old sheet any day over an
original tang at the masthead on a 25 year old salty boat. There's
always another sheet aboard, and racers throw out hundreds of feet of
perfectly good dirty Spectra and Vectran a year at my club G.

Heh. I've got to come hang around your club :{))

We're a big race club and host a number of regattas (C&Cs, Mumm 30s,
Stars) each year, and we are gearing up to host more. Also, we have
insanely competitive club racing, and that's how I got a Kevlar main
and No. 1 for $400.00. Recutting them and restoring them from luff
tape to hanks and track slugs will close to double that, but they are
practically new and a Dacron main and No. 1 would run me nearly $5K.

The cordage is a bonus. I have short pieces of very expensive line
holding some of my fenders on G.

Extensive cruising creates extensive wear and extensive opportunities
to correct and even improve beyond factory the effects of extensive
wear. My boat is sounder now than when new in 1973, but looks pretty
rough. Looks count for little in my book, and layout and "sensible,
moderate, robust" systems and ease of access count for a lot. Your

That's always been my driving factor, but Lydia's got a point in contending
that this will be our home, as well as the difficulty of addressing that
later, with all of our stuff aboard, or, perhaps, not at all, when it
represents an additional expenditure and we'd rather keep in the kitty...

True, which is why maybe the cheaper, less cosmetically pretty boat is
better. Once you are aboard, you will quickly learn what works FOR YOU
TWO as cruising liveaboards, and you can "slate for demolition" areas
you want to custom refit as you can afford to.

So, I'd be tickled with the 'cruising' boat, but also can't deny that the
'offer' boat is extremely well equipped and in great condition right from
the start.

Sure, but the price difference is pretty large for boats one year
apart. Me, if the survey was similar, I'd pop for the cheaper boat and
custom refit the worst of it right away, and refine the rest over
time.

R.