DSK

Default 4th FL trip report, shorter, this time!

wrote:
I suspect many here following "Skip's Saga" will be interested in the
number. The 45K difference in price is "not trivial" as they say, and
nice as "High Time" is, I would personally opt for $45K of custom work
to do the cheaper, if equivalent boat just as I wanted it.

I dunno, you'd be quite surprised how fast $45K flies out the window when working on projects on a boat this size.
Remember, expenses increase by cubes

Personally,
I would do the V-berth as the workshop/storage area (light stuff,
naturally) with maybe a pipe or Pulman berth on one side, with a big
long locker beneath.

I've seen a couple of boats with this sort of layout, and it is nice... but the words "work shop" and "light stuff" don't
go together. Tools and spares are among the heaviest items to stow.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote:
These boats were solid hulls, and plywood cored decks with solid areas of
attaching/through points. Backing material on all stuff. The offer boat
has also had the screws for the toe rail replaced with through-bolts, along
with other similar upgrades on other attachment points.

Morgan went througha couple ups & downs with regard to build quality, although their downs were not as low as some of
the other production builders. It sounds like this one was done right except for the plywood.

I've not seen but one boat with the plugs next to the through-hulls, but
that's what I'll do on any boat I own.

Glad to hear it. So far, my 250 boat club is averaging one sinking at
dock a year from cocks left open, rotten hose, single clamps and the
absence of a way to plug the holes in the first place.

IMHO plugs are not much good in most realistic scenarios of thru-hull failure. A plastic bag & some duct tape would be
better and faster to seal it off.

I had only one experience in trying to hammer wood plugs into a hole, which thank goodness was a Navy training exercise.
I used to have wood plugs tied to all thru hulls but now I have two 'patching kits,' one stowed in the engine room and
one in the deck box.

... Once you are aboard, you will quickly learn what works FOR YOU
TWO as cruising liveaboards, and you can "slate for demolition" areas
you want to custom refit as you can afford to.

Agreed. And the boat sounds pretty good as Skip is describing it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King