DSK

Default aid to navigation question

otnmbrd wrote:

Well, dealing from memory strikes again .... I've found at least one
error in memory.
The designation as an ICW marker was, in my memory, the red triangle or
green square. This should be yellow triangle, yellow square.

No, the only thing that distinguishes an ICW marker from a sea channel is a
small Corp of Engineers symbol near the top, and some of them say "ICW" along
with the number. They are red & green IAW the IALA-B system.

But speaking of memory failures, since I have been so adamant about North/CCW
being counted as "returning" let me be equally vocal in saying I WAS WRONG!
Major brain fart, don't know how I misremembered this. I looked in Chapman's
this morning and at several charts of areas I am familiar with... apparently not
familiar enough!

Question: Since Charleston has all ready been used .... when coming from
sea into Charleston, you can either head North up the ICW, or South,
down the ICW .... lets go south. What are the markers or buoys you
encounter as you enter and progress southbound..... keep in mind, I'm
asking about ICW markings, which are not necessarily IALA-B.

Going south, you'd follow the Charleston harbor channel marks, then the Ashley
River, then into a creek with a funny name (can't recall) just opposite the
Charleston City marina. IIRC (although why I should trust my memory now) the
system switches from the Ashley River bouyage to ICW bouyage at the mouth of
that creek. And as you said all along, going south it would still be Red Right
Returning.

In the opposite case, as soon you go from Charleston Harbor, heading north, into
the Isle of Palms channel, you are following ICW markers and it switches to
"Returning = clockwise around the continent" so you'd take green to starboard.

This may be part of our dissension .....

No, our dissension was based on a major malfunction on my part. I apologize and
hope that most people who have to do any serious navigating would go to the
books rather stake their safety on internet chatter.

I usually try to be a serious and reliable source of info, but blew it this
time!

However, if you were going south offshore and encountered a green sea channel
marker, it would still be correct to take it on one's right-hand side

Fresh Breezes- Doug King