otnmbrd

Default aid to navigation question

Well, dealing from memory strikes again .... I've found at least one
error in memory.
The designation as an ICW marker was, in my memory, the red triangle or
green square. This should be yellow triangle, yellow square.

Question: Since Charleston has all ready been used .... when coming from
sea into Charleston, you can either head North up the ICW, or South,
down the ICW .... lets go south. What are the markers or buoys you
encounter as you enter and progress southbound..... keep in mind, I'm
asking about ICW markings, which are not necessarily IALA-B.

This may be part of our dissension ..... for instance, the fact that
arriving from sea into Charleston, when you turn right into Isle of
Palms the system starts and heads North RRR, has nothing to do with it's
ICW significance and everything to do with it's "from sea" significance
(and North, is not paramount).

otn

otnmbrd wrote:

DSK wrote:

Gfretwell wrote:

The Chesapeake is basically oriented south to north with Baltimore at
the top
but the ICW has lots of places where the "port" is south of the point
of entry
from the sea. The ICW behind Miami Beach is one.

Check the USCG and Corp of Engineers. The ICW is "returning" if
traveling south to
north on the East Coast, west to east on the Gulf.

Whew!!! totally disagree with this!!! Where do you find this
information? Aside from the fact that the "Corp" and "USCG" are not the
authorities......though they are intimately involved with replacing the
markers. This totally goes against the clockwise rotation around the
continent!!

There are lots of other channels which are connected by the ICW, which
you transit
if following the ICW, which are marked differently because they are
going from the
sea to a specific port. Their markers are not considered to be the
same as ICW
markers, in fact in many places there are two sets of markers. It can get
confusing, which is one reason why I would not encourage anybody to
try and
navigate without a chart.

DSK

Here, I'm digging deep into memory (so it may be totally out of wack)
Didn't the ICW numbers start at Norfolk, mile one, and increased from
there based on "mile numbers"?

otn