Steve

Default Hood 810LD Furler

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
news:GeEKb.76998$xX.543868@attbi_s02...
Steve,

short list. Which model do you have? What do you know about the Schaeffer
units?

I had to choose between the Hood Seafurl and Harken Unit 2.5 MKII. (both
were used, off a Shannon 50).. Both needed rebuild of the swivels..

I tried contacting both Hood and Harken.. Guess how responded to my request
for assistance.. The rebuild on the Harken went very easy and cost me about
$180 for new sets of bearings. The manual was available for download
online..

Since I still have the Hood Seafurl and want to sell it, I have still been
trying to get some model information from Hood.. They respond but don't seem
to understand their old model discriptions and give my incorrect
information.. Even though I have sent them pictures of the drum and swivel..

The Harken is great, very easy to operate single handed.. With a prefeeder,
I can hoist/change sails as easy as a hanked on sail (easier).

For me, the down side of the Harken, was the complications of installation
in the field with my rod head stay.. You have to have the rod 'headed' after
the foil section connectors are on the rod.. So if you ever want to remove
the unit, you have to a problem removing the foils from the head stay..
(BTW. Rod rigging can't be 'headed' in the field.)

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions