Alan Gomes

Default Hood 810LD Furler

I have this furler on a 1987 Catalina 30 that I purchased last August. It
can indeed furl in both directions.

It's not a very good unit and I would not recommend buying one. Many owners
complain of problems with it, especially with partially furling the sail.
Specifically, the continuous line does not always hold the drum solidly in
position and the drum can slip, causing the sail to unfurl. This can be
minimized (though not always eliminated) by being careful to maintain
tension on both sides of the furling line when cleating it off. Hood, by the
way, acknowledges the inadequacy of this unit for reefing the sail and sells
an "upgrade kit" for people wanting to use that feature reliably. (See
below.)

This furler was "standard issue" on Catalinas for a number of years. Many
owners have either replaced them altogether or have gone with a single line
upgrade kit from Hood, which involves changing out only the drum but keeping
the same foils and top swivel. (If you wish to go this route you can get the
upgrade from Defender, phone 800-628-8225. Inquire about the 810LD to 800SL
upgrade kit, Hood ID H7564-01. Hood lists the upgrade at $522.76, but I
think they will sell it for around $450.)

In my own case, since my unit is in good working order I plan to just use it
for a while and then replace it with a better unit (e.g., Harken, Schaeffer,
or Pro-furl) in a year or two. If it croaks before then, I'd just bite the
bullet and replace it rather than sinking any significant money into it.

Well, probably more info than you wanted but I hope what I've provided
proves helpful.

Regards,
Alan Gomes
1987 Catalina 30 Mk-II, "Sola Scriptura"

"Hmseconomy" wrote in message
Anyone familiar with this continuous loop furler? I'd like to know if

this
furler can furl in either clockwise AND counterclockwise directions.