posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Cut and Fold Aluminum

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:28:16 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"I am Tosk" wrote in message

The article I read years ago studied the air that runs along the dozens
of chines on the old Viking ships. The theory was that as the boat moved
through the water, air bubbles would get trapped along the angles formed
by the lap strake type construction.

I suppose that could have an affect at displacement speeds. ie: Viking long
boat/galley.

Well, I think that was the theory. The author suggested it gave the boat
lift and less surface contact, water to wood... IIRC, it was a long time
ago when I read it.

I think I read the same article - from one of the Norse museums as I
remember, but the story really didn't sound quite right. A rowing and
sailing boat that moved so fat that air was trapped at the plank edges
and gave the boat more speed???

Funny that modern lapstrake boats don't seem to have the same
reputation except for the fast ones, the ones with 50 - 60 horsepower,
or more. The old lapstrake fishing boats with the 5 H.P. fishing motor
don't seem to go a bit faster, plank edges or not.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)