Bob

Default Pirates of the Caribbean - no, I'm serious

On 31 Dec 2003 17:07:26 -0800, (Curtis CCR)
wrote:

So what parts of the Caribbean would be considered "high risk" for a
small group of young adults on a 50-something foot sailboat? I don't
imagine that the demographic make up of the group or the size of the
boats makes a difference - but if it does...
\

Haven't heard too much about the Carribean, but 2 years ago, the ham
radio net I'm with (the Maritime Net) came to the aid of a family in a
sailboat that was attacked by pirates off the west coast of Honduras.
I've also heard that the northern coast of S. America can be a
problem.

The other factor to consider is the lack of law enforcement/SAR
resources. When that sailboat was attacked off Honduras, the pirates
shot the teenage boy on board. The Honduran Navy does not operate at
night (!) so they wouldn't go get him until the following day. And it
was out of USCG range.

AFAIK, the USCG patrols, along with other nations, the Carribean. If
you have a shortwave radio, you can hear USCG aircraft on 5696 KHz.

Bob/WF3H/USCG Auxiliary
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

check my blog at: