Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Rudders and Bilges (WAS) Uniden 525 VHF and general question

Hi, Bob, and list,

"Bob" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 6:53 am, "Flying Pig" wrote:
Hi, y'all,

My antenna feed for the current installation runs in our bilge,

WIth all your wrecks and rebuilds and refits why on earth do you have

wires in your bilge??????

Cuz that's how it gets where it needs to go. You didn't read the rest of
it, natch, cuz it didn't suit your bashing. Some folks think of bilge as
the very bottom of the boat. I didn't - if I'm incorrect, my bad. Tell me
what else to call it...

and our
rudder post is currently in need of repacking, sending a constant stream
of
water down the bilge/limberholes,

Uhhh have you given the nut a bit of a turn??????

Many times, over many instances.

Why did you let it get to that condition?????????? That **** just does

nt happen over night. uggg.

The problem is that the post itself is corroded/pitted. That not only lets
water through, but wears on the packing.

During the wreck, we expected to have to replace the rudder, but it was
pronounced sound by several knowledgeable folks. The next major haulout, we
may indeed have to do that, unless we can find a machine shop which can
build it up and turn it back down to the proper size. Until that time, we
just have to live with it. It's time for a repack, anyway, as it's right at
3 years since I did it. Not a biggie - but the very best circumstances
still has it leaking slightly.

And, to another of your posts, we didn't sink - pretty hard to sink on a
shelf that's dry at MLW :{))

The only things which got wet were about a hundred rolls of toilet paper and
a seal-a-meal, as they were on the side on which she lay (see wreck pix in
the gallery for a better idea). No floorboards, and very little of anything
else got wet.

She towed home on her own bottom, with her own rudder (albiet a bit sticky
to starboard, due to the separated skin), and her own bilge pumps easily
kept up with the only flow, from around the core of a transducer who's
plastic mushroom had been popped off in the pounding. If it had happened to
have been bronze, we'd have had NO water in the boat...

Nice try on the slam, though :{))

About to climb on a plane tomorrow at ohdarkthirty, and all but the
injectors are removed and ready to pack. Off to defrost the freezer...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)