Parallax

Default Problem water pump Yanmar 2GM

"JimB" wrote in message ...
"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" wrote in
message ...

This time there was no curing it. I dismantled everything upstream and
downstream of the water pump and it appears there is no flow through the
water pump even though everything appears to be functioning exactly as
it's supposed to. The impeller is fine, the belt tension and pulley
function are fine and there are no blockages from the through-hull to its
egress.

Egress from downstream of the pump? or to the pump inlet?

Now I don't know the details of your Yanmar, but here goes -

Where is your over-temperature sensor? In the fresh water system? Salt water
system or in the exhaust? That'll tell you quite a bit and may answer later
questions.

So, just to confirm, is salt water flowing from the exhaust/outlet when the
engine is running?

If in normal quantity, then there's likely to be a fresh water flow problem
(if the overheat sensor is in the fresh water system).

If reduced quantity, then there's likely to be a partial salt water blockage
which may not show up in a simple check, but which will effect cooling at
higher revs.

If no water, there's either a blockage which you haven't detected
(downstream of pump?) or the pump is not pumping.

You can check most pumps by taking the cover off and turning the engine over
with the starter while holding the fuel cut-off. If the vanes don't turn,
there's a shear failure somewhere or a missing key, and that's your problem.
If they do turn - your pump is almost certainly OK. Back to the partial
blockage . . .

Have fun. Maybe someone who knows your Yanmar will give you a better story.

Had nearly the same problem on a used 2GM I installed on my 28' S2.
The problem was downstream of the water pump at the outlet of the
cooling jacket. Salt and corrosion had built up to stop the flow. It
took some time to remove the corrosion and salt but it now flows fine.
It has been a couple of weeks since I looked at the engine so I do
not recall the layout.

David OHara
"Ragtime"