Tom Dacon[_5_] Tom Dacon[_5_] is offline

Default Top of the mast...

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Tom Dacon wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Now think about a sixteen-year-old girl doing that in the great Southern
Ocean...

Tom

girl, boy?

When i was 16 free climbing the mast to scare my parents was great fun.

I'm pretty sure you were doing it at the dock or in mild conditions. I've
spent a little time at the masthead myself underway, taking pictures and
generally enjoying the scenery, but I've been up there other times when I
came down exhausted and black and blue all over my chest and the insides of
my thighs. What I was thinking about when I made my original comment was the
latest of the stunt around-the-world sailors, Zac Sunderland's 16-year-old
younger sister, who's putting together a non-stop around-the-world voyage,
and imagining her having to do that in heavy wind and large seas down in the
roaring 40's. If you've read any accounts of single-handed stunts like that,
you've read about some of those occasions.

Tom