Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Uniden 525 VHF and general question

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:14:31 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

I'll try to find someone with a SWR meter here tomorrow morning before we
head out to our anchorage prior to going into the dock where we'll be
leaving Flying Pig, and give it a whirl.

One of the quirks of waterlogged coax is that it can exhibit a perfect
1:1 SWR ratio while transmitting little or no power because the signal
loss is so high that nothing gets reflected back to the SWR meter.

Total loss: an often heard squawk about rubber duckies.
But it is not all that easy to maintain a 50 ohm impedance AND soak up
most of the transmit power with salt water in a coax - so a SWR meter
has merit IF and only IF it is suited to the frequency band in use. Most
hams use swr tests under 30 MHz.

Brian W