posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Cut and Fold Aluminum

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:44:31 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .

I wish that you could point me at a url showing this "speed pad" as I
can't seem to visualize it, nor can I find more then the words, i.e.,
has a speed pad. I am somewhat familiar with the hulls of both three
point hulls (the old speed boat hulls with the sponsons) and more
modern open ocean racing stuff, but the speed pad defeats me

Most modern high performance fiberglass bass boats made today have a pad
style bottom atleast to some degree. Fast Cat (tunnel) and a few shallow V
and pocket tunnel flats boats being the exceptions.

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1122481 "When we think of a bass boat,
we typically envision a modified V hull, with a pad bottom, and more often
than not, an extended transom/built-in jackplate. Pretty cool stuff, right?
"

Kinda goes to the argument that it's a pretty common thing if that's what
"we typically envision."

Here is an aluminum one, but I do not like their design. Most are flatter,
although a lot of Rangers have a semi V pad like that. I mostly do not like
the sandwiched or layer construction for aluminum as it can trap water.
Their V pad might be the most efficient design for some setups, or possibley
the best compromise: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6666162.html

Here is a picture of the inside the hull for one under construction. The
outside view would be much more defined.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...lassonhull.jpg

I am finding that there is an amazing dearth of pictures online of the
bottom of bass boats. I am finding myself headed out to the shop to take
pictures of the bottom of my Basscat.

Here is a view from the transom:
http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/shelf-001.gif

O.K. I see what you are talking about now. Essentially a flat bottomed
boat once you reach the optimum speed.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)