posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa
TonyB[_2_] TonyB[_2_] is offline

Default Jessica Watson

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message
I was wondering why the northward jog in Jessica's course:

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage

It became obvious when I read what is written he

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/pink-lady

"My goal is to sail solo around the world non-stop, unassisted. I have
chosen a route that is a traditionally recognised path and distance for
'around the world sailors'. As this is a Southern Hemisphere voyage the
significant landmarks are the southern tips of the American and African
continents, as well as some of the most challenging oceans a sailor will
ever face. The entire journey is a mix of amazing experience and unique
challenges."

"There are a few key targets I must achieve to qualify for around the
world status. The approximate distance is 23,000 nautical miles (about
38,000 kilometres). I must depart and arrive from the same port, cross all
lines of longitude, cross the equator entering into the Northern
Hemisphere at least once and round the southern landmarks of South America
and South Africa."

She's a brave and clever lass.

I've been following her blog, she seems mature for her years and obviously
has a lot of boat experience.
However, she hasn't had any heavy weather yet so time will tell. She's just
entering the colder southern ocean
approaching Cape Horn which will be a test of mettle. I gather she's a
qualified Yachtmaster too which is no
mean achievement at 16.

TonyB

--