Rosalie B.

Default Berthing a single engine cruiser in reverse

x-no-archive:yes

"John Smith" wrote:

I have a small single engine inboard/outboard cruiser which is normally kept
on a mooring. I have just spent a few days at a berth and would like some
references for articles on berthing under a range of conditions, to improve
my skills and knowledge of the subject.

Any suggestions on the best source of articles etc?

Thanks in advance

I think Cruising World had some articles on this - at least I remember
reading about things like using a spring line to warp yourself into a
slip.

If you are going to be going in and out of the same slip frequently,
you can refine your technique. If it is going to be your home slip,
you can leave lines on the pilings to be retrieved as you come in -
this helps a lot.

Otherwise you have to carefully assess the wind and current to
determine the best course of action.

Our experience is with a heavy modified full keel sailboat, which is
very much affected by both wind and current. Without a lot of either
of those she can spin on her mast. With a lot of either, it's a crap
shoot. There are some slips/places that we just can't get into. Fin
keel spade rudder boats handle very differently.

When we first got our boat, I went out and practiced backing around a
'no wake' buoy in fairly calm conditions.

grandma Rosalie